Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mom

Well, you guys, I told my mom. My mom and I are close AND she lives in the apartment next door to us, so while I know a lot of people don't tell their families and parents about being poly, I knew in my heart that I had to. So a combination of frustration about keeping all this secret and a few drinks resulted in me marching right over there last night, sitting my ass down on the couch and coming out to her as poly.

I prefaced it by saying she may not like what she heard, but that I had to tell her something about David and I, and that it wasn't bad news. Then I asked her what she knew about polyamory. What followed was some shock, a lot of curious questions, some giggling and generally ACCEPTANCE. Which I knew would be the case, because she's a cool freaking lady. She talked about jealousy in her own marriage, how she didn't let my dad go off and do things without her, and how that was a big problem. She talked about how happy I've been lately just to have my own friends and busy life. While a little shocked, she didn't honestly seem that surprised. I think she just wanted to make sure that David and I were ok, because she loves him so much. But of course, we're great, and I let her know that things were really good.

I also told her about my new boyfriend, Punk Rock Librarian(tm)*. And yes, I said boyfriend. Sounds weird, right? But I mean, that's the best term we have to use to describe the relationship, and he told me he was referring to me as his girlfriend, so there you have it. I now have a husband and a boyfriend. How very progressive of me. I'm a lucky lady.

She checked him out, said he was cute. Think she was a little blown away when I explained that he was married, that he has another girlfriend, and that his wife has a boyfriend with a wife and a fiance. I'm still a little bit blown away.

But while it's all strange and new to her, she didn't get judgmental or upset and I am very, very happy about that. It's great to have family support, and the support of friends. I just don't want to hide something from everyone that is making my life so happy.

*I need to mention that I keep calling him Punk Rock Librarian because he actually has the same name as my husband, which I, you know, changed for privacy and all that. Maybe I'll call him Dave and call my husband David? It's all a little confusing when I talk about both of them.


2 comments:

  1. Congrats! My parents know too, and my mom and I have had a couple of great discussions about it. She's said "I don't know how you do it...I don't think I could handle it!" but she's never sounded critical or judgmental. She's asked quite a lot of interesting questions, actually!

    You and I are lucky ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, while there has been some undertones of disapproval (especially when I go into too much detail), my friends and now family have been very accepting and understanding. I think I've surrounded myself with the right kind of people, so that it makes them happy to see me happy.

      So much happiness. I don't even know what to do with all of it!

      Delete